What is Software Asset Management (SAM)
Software Asset Management (SAM)
Software asset management (SAM) tools automate many of the tasks required to maintain compliance with software licences which in turn controls software expenditure.
SAM tools manage the entitlements from enterprise license agreements, purchases and other records to automatically determine and optimise license position against discovered software.
Infrastructure and operations (I&O) leaders use SAM tools for managing software entitlement, in place of using spreadsheets, due to the rising complexity of software-licensing schemes.
A thorough analysis of software licences deployed is facilitated by retrieving software license information, called “entitlements”. Usage data is recorded in a way which provides a software vendor independent view of the licences deployed. This may also be known as an independent software vendor (ISV) effective license position (ELP). The purpose of this will be to optimise the value of software installed to provide Management information on the deployment across an organisation.
Active SAM automates the process further by processing information in real time without manually running reports and alerting management to a change in status. In addition, Active SAM predicts future needs for software licences- enabling better planning, lowering risk and facilitating control.
• Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) optimisation
• Future demand prediction
• Baseline Audits
• Cloud Adoption and migration plans
• Licensing option evaluation
• Software Asset Management Training
• IT Lifecycle process operations
• ADR & Legal
For problem resolution, as a first step, we favour Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR), avoiding time and expense of litigation.
Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
ADR is the alternative to having a decision imposed by a judge in court.
Conflict resolution is the major goal of all ADR processes. If a process leads to resolution, it is a dispute resolution process
Litelia’s training area covers 2 keys areas of Software Asset Management; Contractual Disputes and IT Operational Governance
1. Contractual Dispute Training
• IT Conflict & Commercial Settlement
• IT Alternative Dispute Resolution (IT ADR)
o Practical Accredited Continuous Professional Development (CPD)
o NVQ Level 4 Qualification
2. IT Operational Governance Training
• Software Asset Management (SAM)
o Documentation of existing processes
• Active Software Asset Management (ASAM)
o Predicting future demand
Learning programmes follow structured frameworks with defined learning objectives.
Case Study –
A recent (2018) case study from a UK Financial Services client of Litelia summarises our capability at delivering successful outcomes for our customers.
• £3M Reported Liability
• £80k Validated Historic Business Value
• £300k Future Technology - Data Governance Solution business case
• £70k Final Negotiated Commercial Settlement
Other benefits provided to the participants
• M&A due diligence on sale of £40m business unit
• Less Time
• 6 month deadline & compelling event
• Higher Quality of Outcome
• Preserved Client / Vendor relationship
• Due diligence to validate M&A Audit Report
• Training in Technology ADR processes
• Investigation of alternative £300k future business value areas for Client & Vendor